Today on the show, we have Patrice Tanaka, CEO and Founder of Joyful Planet, a business purpose consulting firm in New York City. Joyful Planet is focused on helping individuals and organizations discover and actively live their purpose. She is also an author, a coach, a speaker, and a mentor.
Patrice spreads joy wherever she is. She gives us the four steps to finding our purpose in business and our personal lives. She believes that the definition of purpose is how you leverage your talent, expertise, and passion in service to others and our planet.
Patrice and I talk about why businesses need to have one business purpose that everyone can focus on, to help drive more business. We also discuss how purpose-driven companies significantly outperform profit-only driven firms, and how more businesses today are taking the time to articulate their purpose.
She shares how dancing and competing in ballroom dancing gives her joy. Writing her book 'Becoming Ginger Rogers' lets her share that joy with others. Patrice says that if you live your life's purpose, you will be happy, and when you share that happiness with others, it can impact the planet. You won't want to miss the fantastic eye-opening conversation.
- [03:28] Welcome to the show, Patrice Tanaka!
- [04:13] Patrice speaks to us about how she got her purpose.
- [06:14] She saw her purpose with the shock and horror of the loss of life on 9/11 in the twin towers.
- [07:20] Her mission was to live joy every day, to be mindful of that joy, and to share it with others.
- [08:52] Dancing and competing in ballroom dancing makes her happy.
- [09:33] Writing her book Becoming Ginger Rogers allowed her to share that joy with others.
- [10:05] She left the PR company she co-founded and opened her consultancy called Joyful Planet.
- [11:43] Patrice chats about how finding your purpose can give you a competitive advantage.
- [12:37] Purpose to Patrice is how you leverage your talent, expertise, and passion in service to other people and our planet.
- [13:15] What is the most important thing for you to accomplish as an individual or a business?
- [14:05] Patrice speaks about having one business purpose that everyone can focus on to help drive business.
- [16:14] Purpose-driven businesses significantly outperform profit only focused businesses.
- [18:10] We are at the beginning of a trend to increase value for all stakeholders and all people.
- [23:13] Patrice tells us the four steps she recommends to get your business purpose.
- [25:35] She gives us the four steps to get purpose in your personal life.
- [28:38] Patrice faces challenges daily, but she tries to keep her focus on her purpose.
- [30:57] When you choose joy, it builds on itself, joy builds on joy.
- [34:05] Patrice's advice is to live your life's purpose because when you are happy you spread the joy with others.
Links and Resources: